Apple cider vinegar, cider vinegar, or ACV has been used for hundreds of years. It was originally used just for its healing properties, but it can also be incorporated into your everyday beauty and cleaning regime. I know it sounds like I work for an apple cider vinegar corporation, but I swear I don’t! I just love the stuff and if you read on you’ll see why.
Apple Cider Vinegar is made from the liquid of crushed apples which is then fermented until it turns into vinegar. Apple cider vinegar was largely used for its many health benefits and it has even been said that Hippocrates used it to heal his patients.
Some of the health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar include:
- Contains vitamins C, A, B1, B2, B6, E and pro-vitamin beta-carotene.
- It contains minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, copper, iron and silicon.
- Aids in weight loss by helping control your appetite and sugar cravings. Try having a teaspoon in warm water before each meal.
- Helps digestion and can ease constipation due to the acid in it which helps break down food that may be hard to digest. It also helps kickstart a sluggish digestive system.
- It helps balance the body’s alkaline levels. Read my article on why this is important here. It helps prevent the flu and also relieves sinus pressure and fights infections.
- Anti inflammatory properties which can be very helpful for people with arthritis.
- Helps to relieve gout, asthma and allergy symptoms.
- It’s a great detox aid.
- Increased energy.
- Better sleep when taken with warm water and honey before bed.
- Treats and prevents eczema; for this you can drink it, but also having a bath with 2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar will help reduce eczema.
- Disinfects wounds and soothes bug bites.
- Helps to relax sore muscles when used in place of massage oil.
- It can get rid of warts. Soak a cotton ball in Apple Cider Vinegar, put it on the wart with a band aid, leave overnight and continue until it is gone.
I have mentioned in the bullet points ways you can consume Apple Cider Vinegar but as a general rule try and have 2 teaspoon a day. I like to have 2 teaspoon with lemon juice and hot water every morning.
Another way to get Apple Cider Vinegar into your diet is by adding it to salad dressings. My personal favorite is 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar, juice of half a lemon, 3 teaspoons olive oil and some salt and pepper.
Apple Cider Vinegaris great to use as a cleaning product as it is chemical free but still works as an antibacterial agent.
Some ways you can use it are:
- Floor cleaner – Just mix 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar with water in your mop bucket and clean away.
- Bathroom and kitchen cleaner – Fill a spray bottle with ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar and water and use it to remove and prevent mold and any grime build up.
- Drain Cleaner – Mix ½ cup of salt and ½ cup baking soda together and pour it down the drain, then follow it by 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar. These ingredients will work together to break down the blockage. Follow it with water after about 3 hours.
- Use it to clean your fruit and vegetables by soaking them in the sink filled with water and 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
So how you can you use Apple Cider Vinegar as an inexpensive beauty product?
- For shiny dandruff free hair use 1 tablespoon of ACV with 2 cups of water and rinse your hair with it 1-2 times a week.
- Use it as a toner to balance your skin’s PH levels – soak a cotton ball in 2 teaspoons ACV mixed with 4 teaspoons water. Wipe it over your face and follow it with moisturizer.
- Mix a few teaspoons with your body moisturiser to give you smooth skin.
- Use it as an aftershave to soothe the skin. Mix 1 tablespoon ACV with 2 tablespoons water and splash it on the shaved area.
- To soothe sunburn add 1 cup ACV to your bath to help relieve the pain.
- Remove stains from your teeth by rubbing it onto the affected tooth, then rinse.
- To reduce swelling in your hands or feet, massage them with a mixture of ACV and water.
- To remove toenail fungus soak your toes in 1 cup APV and 1 cup of water every day until it starts to subside.
So many great beauty uses! What’s your favourite way to use ACV?